Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Raw Zucchini Hummus

BeanlessZucchiniHummus   monkey

I’ve made this twice now, using sunflower seeds.  Not only is it good, but it keeps well in the fridge for a good 5 days.  We love this stuff.  In preparing this, I started out by blending the zucchini and lemon juice and found that it was a tasty porridge in itself – try it before it gets too smooth and see what you think!

INGREDIENTS

3 raw zucchinis, peeled and chopped
6 tbsp lemon juice
4 cloves garlic
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp turmeric
2 pinches ground cayenne pepper
1/2 cup raw tahini
1 cup sesame or sunflower seeds, soaked
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzle
Fresh parsley, minced for garnish

INSTRUCTIONS

Place all ingredients, except oil and parsley, into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth or to desired consistency. Drizzle with oil and garnish with parsley. Complement it with crudités, raw flax crackers or whole-grain pita bread. You can also spread it on sandwiches, mix it with salads, use it as a dip, etc.…

NOTES

If you’re using a regular blender, I find that it’s easiest to blend the zucchini and lemon juice first.  Then add the soaked sunflower seeds in slowly.  Then the rest.  For the garlic, I suggest using a garlic press and letting the garlic sit for 10 minutes.

I could not find raw tahini, even at Whole Foods, so I used regular tahini.  However, making your own tahini is not difficult and I will be trying that once I get my Vitamix blender!

No comments: